Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Our Party Of Five


I'll never forget my first day of Grade Six. It was November, I was eleven years old, this was my third school in less than a year and my mother made me wear a kilt on my first day. The teacher sat me beside Cheri and basically told her to be my friend. Neeru was also in my class that year and she was kind enough to hang out with me, the new kid in town, even though I clearly did not fit in. Everyone else was wearing Vuarnet shirts and I was in a KILT! Nee & I were probably the only 2 girls in the class that didn't have a 'mushroom haircut' like most of the other girls. Thankfully, we didn't have a mushroom haircut like most of the girls, really. (no offense to you, Cheri! It was a GREAT look on you!) I met Laura in grade seven. We were both invited to Denise's roller skating birthday party and neither one of us were looking forward to roller skating. She didn't know how and I said I didn't either. (well, I told her I wasn't good even though I had taken roller skating lessons for years as a kid and was once in the Yellow Rose Of Texas performance that was aired on the local TV station.... I lied to her. I was awesome.) I actually told her I couldn't skate because I wanted to hang out with her and so a friendship began... I met Jill in grade 10 and she has always been a combination of sweet/straighforward. She is the one who will tell it like it is and won't hold back. Love her, love her, love her. Love all of them. Anyways, it's been almost 23 years since that first day of school and I am so proud to say that the five of us have all stayed connected. We all go off and live our lives for awhile at a time, but we always seem to reunite at some point to catch up and make plans which create new memories. Often we'll meet somewhere for a girls night and make a reservation for a 'party of five' at a grown up restaurant often unsuitable for kids which for those of us with kids is nice to get out to a place without highchairs sometimes. Other times, we plan to get together with all the men & children in our lives and have family gatherings. To this day, that makes it a party of sixteen and it's still growing! Love it, love it, love it! Every Thanksgiving when I stop to think of all I am thankful for in my life, I smile from my heart as this group of girls crosses my mind.

About Me

My photo
Life-long Vegetarian and proud to be Canadian. Really, I'm a little bit of everything, all rolled into one. I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint (I do not feel ashamed) I'm your hell, I'm your dream (I'm nothing in between) You know, I wouldn't want it any other way..... (I'd like to think that song was written about me! lol)