Sunday, October 4, 2009

We Remember The Days....


Susie & I have been friends since high school. We used to dream together what our houses were going to look like and all the nice things we'd have in them. Then, our oldest boys were born (two weeks apart!) and we would put the babies in the strollers, go to the mall and shop. Shop, shop, shop. Every Wednesday. We'd have lunch and coffee that was HOT.... That was a great year.

We now have 5 children between the two of us and life has changed. Our outings are very different. In fact, we usually prefer "in ings" where we just get together at each others places, stay in and let the children run wild. We take turns doing this because our places get so trashed that it often takes days to recover from such get togethers. We have to heat and re-heat our coffees because we are constantly being interrupted and distracted. These gatherings are complete mayhem. But we continue to do them. Like ourselves, our kids are all good buddies.

This past month has been a bt of a turning point for me. Both of my kids are in school and so are the kids I have been providing child care to for the past 5 years. I have some new found freedom. The other day, I stopped by Susie's place (who also does home daycare and her youngest is almost 2 now) while the little ones were asleep and all the older kids were in school. I walked into total silence.... for the first time in 7 years, it was quiet. We took a minute to enjoy that sound as we drank our HOT coffees. (which all moms know is a treat!) I went to place my coffee down on her table and this is how her table looked. Her table that I remember her proudly telling me she got for her new place many years ago..... One of those "nice things" we had dreamt about for our houses back in our before children days. I commented on how I like what she has done with the furniture and walls.... we laughed, then sorta cried for a quick second then laughed again. Would we have it any other way? Would we really want to go back to the days of before children and have those perfect homes we once almost had? Not a chance. (but going back to drinking coffee while it's hot on a regular basis would be great!)



About Me

My photo
Life-long Vegetarian and proud to be Canadian. Really, I'm a little bit of everything, all rolled into one. I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint (I do not feel ashamed) I'm your hell, I'm your dream (I'm nothing in between) You know, I wouldn't want it any other way..... (I'd like to think that song was written about me! lol)