Sunday, October 3, 2010

Hearty Vegan Stew


2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 cup parsnips, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
red potatoes, peeled and cut  (about 2 cups)
6 whole garlic cloves, peeled
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup pearled barley
1/2 tsp dried thyme
3 cups vegetable beef flavoured stock (like McCormicks all vegetable bouillion cubes)
3 tbsp flour or corn starch (to keep it gluten-free) to thicken if necessary


1 pkg Gardein Beefless Tips prepared as directed on the package 
Salt &  fresh ground pepper to taste

Heat oil on medium-high heat in large pot; add onion, carrot, parsnips, celery, potatoes and garlic.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables brown, about 12 minutes.
Add barley and stir until shiny and coated. Add in thyme, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
Add vegetable broth and thicken if necessary
Bring to boil over medium-high heat; turn heat down so stew hardly bubbles. Cover and cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in Gardein Beefless Tips during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Serve with vegan Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry if desired, or crusty bread.
Makes four servings or double the recipe and freeze the left overs for next week!

About Me

My photo
Life-long Vegetarian and proud to be Canadian. Really, I'm a little bit of everything, all rolled into one. I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint (I do not feel ashamed) I'm your hell, I'm your dream (I'm nothing in between) You know, I wouldn't want it any other way..... (I'd like to think that song was written about me! lol)