Monday, August 12, 2013

Banana Bread; Memories Of The Cottage Style

At my friends cottage last weekend they made banana bread and the smell was heavenly. Now that we're back home and in routine I'm trying to zone back into the cottage life just a little by making a loaf here. This is the basic version; in the loaf I made today I added a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg and a drop of pure vanilla extract. Also a few milk chocolate chips and a handful of walnuts made their way into the bowl :) I topped the loaf with a sprinkle of brown sugar before baking to give it a bit of a crust. Now I just need a hammock here at home to swing in while it bakes!

INGREDIENTS


2cups all-purpose flour
1teaspoon baking soda
1/4teaspoon salt
1/2cup butter
3/4cup brown sugar
2eggs, beaten
2 1/3cups mashed overripe bananas

INSTRUCTIONS

1.Directions
2.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
3.In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten, don't over mix or it will fe too dry. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
4.Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. (Careful you don't poke banana and think it's underdone!) Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

About Me

My photo
Life-long Vegetarian and proud to be Canadian. Really, I'm a little bit of everything, all rolled into one. I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint (I do not feel ashamed) I'm your hell, I'm your dream (I'm nothing in between) You know, I wouldn't want it any other way..... (I'd like to think that song was written about me! lol)