Sunday, April 13, 2014

Creamy Caesar Salad Veganized!

Yesterday I posted about my new found love -Creamy Vegan Ranch Dressing -but I have to share my 'winged it' caesar dressing I made today because I think I love it just as much. Although some of the ingredients are similar to the ranch, it tastes very different and you won't miss the parmesan cheese typically found in caesar after making this! ..plus it's packed with B12 :)

1 cup vegan mayo (garlic flavour works well!)
1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews, rinsed
1/3 cup nutritional yeast (give it the cheesy flavour, add more if you want!)
1/3 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon of either prepared brown mustard OR mustard powder is fine
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Blend together in a food processor until smooth. Some cashew chunks will remain but gave my salad a good nutty flavour. Adjust the flavours as necessary to taste ..to me a caesar dressing can never be too lemony! If you want it cheesier tasting, load up on the nutritional yeast.

I didn't have any miso or vegetarian worcestershire on hand but have heard adding in a teaspoon of one or the other gives a vegan caesar the kick it needs to make up for the anchovy taste. I've never tried any of the vegan parmesans but it's an option too. Next time I'll give those all a try but for today I was happy to get what came as a result of whipping this together.


About Me

My photo
Life-long Vegetarian and proud to be Canadian. Really, I'm a little bit of everything, all rolled into one. I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint (I do not feel ashamed) I'm your hell, I'm your dream (I'm nothing in between) You know, I wouldn't want it any other way..... (I'd like to think that song was written about me! lol)