Sunday, January 20, 2013

Vegetarian Chili

Such an easy thing to throw together on a cold night! We have it over rice or baked potatoes and melt cheese on top. I add Hot Sauce to my bowl; the green one from Che's in Hess Village if you're reading from Hamilton, Ontario! I like it hotter than the rest of the family. My non vegetarian husband frys ground beef in a skillet on the side and pours my chili on top to suit his meat eating needs. This chili freezes really well and on nights when I want home cooked but not home to cook it I'm glad to pull this out for dinner. Eat it with beer. Most things just taste better with beer :)

Ingredients


2 tablespoons vegetable oil

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup chopped onion

2 cups chopped celery

2 cups chopped green bell pepper

1 cup chopped red bell pepper

1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper

2 cans whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, chopped

1 can white kidney beans, undrained

1 can red kidney beans, undrained

1 can navy beans, undrained

1 can whole kernel corn, drained

3 tablespoons chili powder

2 tablespoons Club House Tex Mex Seasoning

1 tablespoon Club House Cajun Spice

1/2 tablespoon garlic powder

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the garlic, onion, and celery in the pot until tender. Mix in the green, red and yellow bell pepper. Season with chili powder. Continue cooking 5 minutes, or until peppers are tender.
Stir in the tomatoes with liquid, kidney and navy beans with liquid, and corn. Season with tex mex spice, cajun spice and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for about an hour stirring occasionally.



About Me

My photo
Life-long Vegetarian and proud to be Canadian. Really, I'm a little bit of everything, all rolled into one. I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint (I do not feel ashamed) I'm your hell, I'm your dream (I'm nothing in between) You know, I wouldn't want it any other way..... (I'd like to think that song was written about me! lol)