Sunday, November 14, 2010

Thinking of Dealing with Rokbar? Beware.

The note below was posted by my cousin @mcunclebuck on Facebook and he has asked his friends & family to spread the word about his dealings with Rokbar to save anyone else from the aggravation he's been through with them, so.... here it is and it's worth the read!



I'm writing this note as a cautionary tale to those of you who are thinking about working for Rokbar in Hamilton's Hess Village. After two months of being owed a month's worth of pay for my old weekly slot, I feel the time has come to warn all of you of the types of things that have happened to me and my dealings with that club.


I was hired by Rehan Mirza (i.e 'Rayz' .. their resident Dj/Promtions guy) two summers ago to MC and promote special events. It was he that negotiated my wage, and it was him that I was to submit my weekly payment invoice to. You see, the accounting department (Headed by John Nedelko) had requested that instead of being paid at the end of the night, I submit invoices that would be due in thirty days. It should be noted that In the two years I had worked there I was rarely paid on time in accordance with the payment schedule I had worked out with both Rehan (the one who hired me and negotiated my rate) and John (the accountant who prepares the pay cheques)...but I did eventually end up with the money owed. I was told by John that the owner (Denis Vranich) was required to sign off on my cheques. John would inform him of the invoices that were due to be paid, and Denis would direct to him which invoices to pay.

That brings us to now. I am one in a long list of people owed money by this club. Luckily, I am not one of those owed thousands of dollars...but some are, which makes this even more troubling. I have tried countless times to collect what is owed to me. Rehan Mirza has told me countless times that I am 'Not to worry and I will be paid'...but when I questioned John (the accountant) about a previous bounced cheque issue, I was told that Rehan has no information or say on the accounting or payment dealings of the business. I find this very disturbing as Rehan is:

A) the one hiring people and negotiating their wage

and

B) Telling those owed that they are one of the top people on the list to be paid next..and other things of that nature.

I went to the offices of the bar and spoke to John and Joanne (another worker in the office) about my concerns and was told that my only recourse is to speak directly to Denis (the club's owner) about it. An idea that I would love to pursue, however not one person is willing to give me his contact information. When I told both of them that I had only met Denis once, moments before he was carried out of his club from intoxication. I was met with laughter, and again told they weren't able to help me. As the accountant (John) explained, he has informed Denis that this money is owed, but Denis will not give the authorization to prepare a cheque.

I have continued to try and contact John to inquire about a possible timeline for payment, but he now refuses to reply to my emails, and it looks as though I will have to take legal action.

So to those that are being contacted by Rehan to work for that nightclub, beware. There are a laundry list of broken promises and owed money, and the club's own accounting head has told me (and others) that Rehan has absolutely no say on who gets paid and when. That sole decision falls at the discretion of the club's owner, and he refuses to sign off on payment for myself and others owed significant money.

Will this same saga happen to you? It's possible that it wont..but I felt it in the best interest of others to warn you of what many are dealing with.

Thanks for Reading.

Edit: I want to make a point of saying that this is no way directed at any of the other staff at the club. A great group of people work in security and behind the bar there, so please do not take the actions of those named above as a reflection of the rest of the employees.

About Me

My photo
Life-long Vegetarian and proud to be Canadian. Really, I'm a little bit of everything, all rolled into one. I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint (I do not feel ashamed) I'm your hell, I'm your dream (I'm nothing in between) You know, I wouldn't want it any other way..... (I'd like to think that song was written about me! lol)