Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Just My Boy & Me

Like most families, we had a chaotic weekend of working, grocery shopping, kids hockey, kids parties etc etc. My youngest, Callum had to make a hard decision on Saturday on whether he was going to the birthday party of a very close friend or his year end hockey team party. He chose the hockey party with the promise to make it up to his buddy and missed out on all the fun that goes along with birthdays and movie theatres. His older brother went and saw Diary Of A Wimpy Kid 2 and for two days had been rubbing it in Callum's face. On Tuesday night, Carter was invited to yet another birthday party meaning I had the opportunity to take Callum to the theatre to see the movie he missed and so desperately wanted to see. It was a typical mad rush to get Carter to the Lazer Tag place and time getting to the show but we made it and even had time to spare surprisingly. I didn't really think through ahead of time what this time with Callum would look like but as I sat there with him waiting for the film to begin, it occurred to me I don't think I had done something like this, one on one time with him in a really really long time.  We get so caught up in the everyday chaos that I seldom get an opportunity to do something with just one of my boys at a time. I spend a lot of time with my kids, but it's usually with them plus a half dozen other children we take along with us, or the two of them together. All of this was flooding through my head as I watched his little face beside me talking away about another movie he had seen on March Break, and about another movie he wants to see that is coming out. He eyes were so big and wide with excitement, his laughter came straight from the toes and his energy was infectious. I could feel myself light up as this all dawned on me. He was super cuddly during the movie and I definitely let him away with acting a bit babyish, but he is my baby. In that moment of time I realized I need to experience that one on one time more often with each of my kids, for all of our sakes.

About Me

My photo
Life-long Vegetarian and proud to be Canadian. Really, I'm a little bit of everything, all rolled into one. I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint (I do not feel ashamed) I'm your hell, I'm your dream (I'm nothing in between) You know, I wouldn't want it any other way..... (I'd like to think that song was written about me! lol)