Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Lifetime Of Misery For A Few Minutes Of Entertainment

The truck the elephants live in all year long, chained to the inside.
The circus is no fun for elephants or any of the animals who are tortured into learning the tricks they perform in order to provide humans with a few short minutes of entertainment. More is posted on PETA.org but one article states bears, elephants, tigers, and other animals do not voluntarily ride bicycles, stand on their heads, balance on balls, or jump through rings of fire. They don't perform these and other difficult tricks because they want to; they perform them because they're afraid of what will happen if they don't.


For animals in circuses, there is no such thing as "positive reinforcement"—only varying degrees of punishment and deprivation. To force them to perform these meaningless and physically uncomfortable tricks, trainers use whips, tight collars, muzzles, electric prods, bullhooks, and other painful tools of the trade.

Elephants are beaten, hit, poked, prodded, and jabbed with sharp hooks, sometimes until bloody. The trainers break the spirit of elephants when they're vulnerable babies who should still be with their mothers. Unsuspecting parents planning a family trip to the circus don't know about the violent training sessions with ropes, bullhooks, and electric shock prods that elephants endure. 
This year over seventy of us gathered in protest of the Shine Circus in Hamilton Ontario. There was some resistance from the misinformed who would yell out that we're ruining the fun for the children but for the most part we got very positive feedback. Some people left at intermission, saying they had never realized before what the animals suffer and the life they are forced to live. One father who left mid way brought his teenage daughters over to speak to us asking for more literature as our information had opened their eyes. A friend of mine didn't even get settled in her seat before deciding to leave with her four children because one of them asked what a bullhook is. Another woman I know posted on my Facebook page before the event even happened that my advocacy makes a difference because she has chosen to not use her tickets after all. All of this matters. My family has been at this five years in a row now; lets hope Hamilton simply bans the use of animals for entertainment purposes and the Circus will not be back in town again. But if it is, we'll be there. 

About Me

My photo
Life-long Vegetarian and proud to be Canadian. Really, I'm a little bit of everything, all rolled into one. I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint (I do not feel ashamed) I'm your hell, I'm your dream (I'm nothing in between) You know, I wouldn't want it any other way..... (I'd like to think that song was written about me! lol)