Friday, August 21, 2009

Callum May End Up A Meat Eater And I'm Not Ok With That!



Callum, my now 5 year old has been Vegetarian since birth. So has my 7 year old, Carter. Carter is definitely like me. He gags at the sight/smell/thought of meat. He gets the same sick feeling as I do when my husband rudely cooks up bacon while we're home. (which he knows he not supposed to do!) The two of us can barf just at the thought of Chris cooking up bacon. I know he was born vegetarian. It's in his genetic make up.

Callum on the other hand has so many of my husbands traits and characteristics. For the last several months, he has been asking numerous questions about meat and where it comes from. Chris gets very graphic with him yet he still asks to taste it. Chris, who has no interest in becoming Vegetarian himself is surprisingly very supportive of the idea of raising our kids on a veggie diet.... if that is the way they want it. He has always told me that when they are of an age where you can explain what it is and they still want to try it, he will want them to have that opportunity.

And this is where I'm at. He told Callum months and months and months ago that if he still wanted to try meat he could try it after he turned five. Well, guess who celebrated his fifth birthday recently and has become more curious about trying meat and keeps reminding us that he is "five now." Chris is patiently waiting for me to get myself together before he actually goes through with the taste test and as I struggle with the whole thought of it all, I'm frantically trying to find a way to get Callum to change his mind.

My sister, who like myself, was born Vegetarian has done everything she can to try to stop this madness. She has spent a fortune on books such as Ruby Roth's Thats Why We Don't Eat Animals to better educate him on the subject. Although he has a deep compassion for the way animals are treated, and a thorough understanding that meat is dead animals that were slaughtered for food, he still is asking to try it. I feel sick about it. I feel torn about it. Where do I go from here?.... Where the hell do I go from here?

About Me

My photo
Life-long Vegetarian and proud to be Canadian. Really, I'm a little bit of everything, all rolled into one. I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint (I do not feel ashamed) I'm your hell, I'm your dream (I'm nothing in between) You know, I wouldn't want it any other way..... (I'd like to think that song was written about me! lol)