Thursday, August 25, 2011

Chickenless Pot Pie

Original recipe taken from Gardein iPhone app, then modified.


1 pack Gardein scallopini, cut into 1/4 cubes
6 cups vegan chicken stock
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 cup broccoli florets
1 cup peas
¾ tsp thyme, minced
¾ tsp sage, minced
¾ tsp sea salt
¾ tsp fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
3-4 tbsp Canola oil


Roux
¾ cup flour
¾ cup Earth Balance butter
1 puff pastry sheet rolled out to 12"x10"

Instructions
Pre-heat oven to 375°F

Brown gardein scallopini in a sauté pan with 1 tablespoon canola oil. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and set aside.

To make roux... melt Earth Balance in a sauté pan, add flour and whisk constantly until light brown in color. Cool and set aside.

In a 5.5 qt. stock pot cook onions in canola oil for 3 min and add carrots, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 5 min. Add already boiling stock and simmer for 5 min whisk in yeast flakes.

Add the roux a bit at a time and continue to cook as sauce begins to thicken. Stir in gardein scallopini, tamari and peas. pour mixture into a large shallow pan to cool.

Once mixture is cool, pour into individual ramekins, glass pie pan or small casserole dish. cover mixture with puff pastry (be sure to leave a small excess of pastry for folding and fluting of the edge) and seal edges. Cut small slits. Bake for 35 min or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.

6 servings | 15 min prep | 50 min cook

- Posted using BlogPress from Jennifer's iPad

About Me

My photo
Life-long Vegetarian and proud to be Canadian. Really, I'm a little bit of everything, all rolled into one. I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint (I do not feel ashamed) I'm your hell, I'm your dream (I'm nothing in between) You know, I wouldn't want it any other way..... (I'd like to think that song was written about me! lol)