Friday, August 26, 2011

Corn Chowder with Green Chiles

INGREDIENTS
2 fresh, mild green Mexican (Anaheim) or poblano chiles roasted & peeled
2 Tbs. corn oil or vegetable oil
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 large onion, minced
3 cups corn kernels, scraped from the cob (about 6 medium ears), fresh or frozen
3 cups milk
12 to 14-oz. russet baking potato, peeled and diced
1 1/2 tsp. salt, or more to taste
1/2 cup whipping cream
Pinch white pepper
About 1/4 cup pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds), dry-roasted, optional

INSTRUCTIONS
1. To prepare chowder: Heat oil and butter in large, heavy saucepan over medium. Stir in onion, and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. In blender, purée 1 cup corn with 1 cup milk. Pour mixture into pan and add remaining milk with remaining corn, potato and 11/2 teaspoons salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until potato is tender. Adjust heat, if necessary, to keep soup from boiling. Stir in cream and heat through. Add more salt, if desired, and pepper. Ladle into shallow bowls. Top with green chiles. Scatter pepitas over soup, if using. Serve hot.

About Me

My photo
Life-long Vegetarian and proud to be Canadian. Really, I'm a little bit of everything, all rolled into one. I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint (I do not feel ashamed) I'm your hell, I'm your dream (I'm nothing in between) You know, I wouldn't want it any other way..... (I'd like to think that song was written about me! lol)