Sunday, August 28, 2011

Miso Noodle Soup with Edamame

INGREDIENTS
2 oz. bean thread noodles
3 oz. fresh shiitake or button mushrooms
2 tsp. canola oil
3 scallions, thinly sliced with white and green parts
1 small carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on diagonal
1 cup (6 oz.) frozen shelled edamame
5 oz. baby spinach
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
4 to 6 Tbs. dark miso
1/4 tsp. toasted sesame oil
Tamari soy sauce, optional

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Put noodles in a bowl with water to cover, and set aside.
2. Trim mushrooms and wash, chop finely. Slice caps thinly, and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a soup pot. Add scallion whites, mushrooms and carrot, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mushrooms begin to soften, for about 2 minutes.
4. Add 5 cups water, and bring to a boil. Add edamame, and cook for 4 minutes. Drain noodles, and add to pot with spinach and ginger. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until edamame are tender but still firm, for about 1 minute more. Stir in scallion greens.
5. Blend 4 tablespoons miso into 1 cup warm water, using a fork to mix. Reduce heat to low, and stir miso into soup, adding more miso for a more intense flavor, if desired. Add sesame oil and tamari to taste. Serve hot.

About Me

My photo
Life-long Vegetarian and proud to be Canadian. Really, I'm a little bit of everything, all rolled into one. I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint (I do not feel ashamed) I'm your hell, I'm your dream (I'm nothing in between) You know, I wouldn't want it any other way..... (I'd like to think that song was written about me! lol)